DAVIDSON + CORNELIUS + HUNTERSVILLE + CHARLOTTE + MINT HILL + MATTHEWS + PINEVILLE
Supporting a Complete Count for Education
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) has partnered with MeckCounts to inform and engage our community about the 2020 census. Many of the resources students need, including teachers, textbooks, and other educational expenses, are supported by federal dollars distributed using census data. North Carolina received more than $2.3 billion in fiscal year 2016 for programs for students in pre-k through college.
Specific to CMS, in the last school year, the district received:
- $39.1 million for the National School Lunch Program
- $11.1 million for the School Breakfast Program
- $1.5 million for the Child & Adult Care Food Program
Impact: CMS provided more than 7 million breakfasts, 13.5 million lunches and 500,000 suppers to CMS students
That’s a big impact, which is why CMS is working hard to share information about the census with the district’s 19,000+ employees, its 148,000+ students, as well as families and district partners.
Here are just a few examples of the many things CMS is doing to promote a complete count in 2020:
- Social media posts
- Announcements during CMS Sports Games
- Posters at the school
- Outreach at events
- Incorporating census lessons into K-3 school activities
- Sending home digital flyers
- Sharing information on CMS Website
- Onsite Census 2020 Station at Smith Family Center starting April 1
- Emailing volunteers
- Internal communications to employees
If you would like to “Make it Count” and join CMS in supporting the census, here are some things you can do.